memory leaks and other problems with rlm_ippool

Michael Griego mgriego at utdallas.edu
Wed Aug 24 17:12:12 CEST 2005

I've been seeing the same issue and have been trying to track it down
for over a year.  I'm not running ippools, though, but I get a large
number of EAP conversations.  Until I could track it down, I've got a
script in place to kill/restart the daemon when it reaches 400MB.  I've
also been kinda watching for others seeing similar issues, and,
honestly, this is the first thing I've seen that comes close.

My setup is Fedora Core 1, fully patched, on a Dell PowerEdge 650
(2.4GHz P4, 512MB RAM).  The daemon grows in memory usage unchecked over
time even in full -X debug mode.

I'd be very interested in comparing notes.  I've been valgrinding the
heck out of the server and can't seem to figure out where the leak is,
even though I've found and fixed a couple of leaks in my own checking.
Those haven't fixed the memory growth problem.  I'm convinced that
something somewhere has an off-by-one bug or something similar and is
horking the memory manager.  I have yet to be able to track this down
though.

--Mike