FreeRADIUS CVS->{BZR,Hg} migration consideration

Chris Parker cparker at starnetusa.net
Tue Sep 13 20:48:10 CEST 2005

On Sep 13, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:

> In order to have a look at how something like Bazaar-ng (which
> seems to have
> come out on top after consideration for my significantly smaller
> projects) or
> Mercuirial (which is optimised towards larger projects, and might suit
> FreeRADIUS nicely) will handle the importing of current the
> FreeRADIUS CVS
> repository, I propose to run a read-only parallel repository in
> either or both
> of the above on my own server, syncing against the FreeRADIUS CVS
> server.
>
> I'm planning to use tailor [1] to do the initial conversion and
> regular pulls.
> I'd then offer rsync, http and *web access as appropriate (although
> I've never
> tried it for Mercurial and only just set it up for bazaar-ng) for
> the curious
> to see what sort of difference it makes.
>
> However, the initial pull will produce pain for cvs.freeradius.org
> I expect, so
> I'd like to know if there's a particular time window which would be
> better for
> the cvs.freeradius.org box to be hammered upon by me doing this.
> (And be sure
> the time window is in UTC. I'm in Australia, so I don't want a TZ
> mistake to
> cause me to bring something grinding to a halt in front of
> someone's CEO. ^_^)

Let's say 3-5am Central US time ( GMT - 5 ).

How much of a 'pain' are you talking about here?

Can you clarify exactly what you need to do?  It is possible for me
to send you a
tarball of the cvs repository, which might make it easier than trying
to bludgeon
the cvs server.  :)

> I'm also open to other suggestions of versioning software to use,
> although I'm
> really only familiar with CVS in usage, and have been reading about
> git and bzr
> recently.

We've actually started playing with SVN internally here at my work.
That and
CVS are what I've had experience with.  Not that heavy into branching/
etc. so
I can't comment on that aspect of SVN in relation to CVS.

-Chris
--
Chris Parker
Director, Engineering

(888)212-0099   Fax (847)963-1302
Wholesale Internet Services     http://www.megapop.net
VoiceEclipse, The Fresh Alternative http://www.voiceeclipse.com

NOTICE: Message is sent IN CONFIDENCE to addressees. It may contain
information that is privileged, proprietary or confidential.