Problem using PAM to authenticate telnet user.

Vishwanath Srikant Pattanshetti vspattanshetti at airvananet.com
Thu Sep 22 23:20:44 CEST 2005

Hello

I have installed Freeradius1.0.4 on Solaris10.
User authentication using "Local","System" and "Pam" types works fine.

I want to use radius to authenticate user's unix login for telnet.
For this I have put in the rlm_pam-1.0.4.so in /usr/lib/security directory.
Following entry is made in /etc/pam.conf:
telnet auth required rlm_pam-1.0.4.so

The freeradius server is started using command: radiusd -X

Now from a terminal I issue telnet <hostname> command.

Now I get the following message a few times at brief intervals
Login incorrect.
Login incorrect.
Login incorrect.
Login incorrect.
Login incorrect.
Connection to <hostname> closed by foreign host.

Can some one tell me what could be the problem? Am I missing something  in configurations??

Also one more thing I noticed is:
When I go to src/modules/rlm_pam and give ./configure  I get following output.
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for pam_start in -lpam... yes
checking for security/pam_appl.h... yes
checking for pam/pam_appl.h... no
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged

I see that Makefile is the latest modified file, after this step.

Now try to make using gmake.
Nothing is printed on the screen..

Could this be a problem ??
PS: The rlm_pam-1.0.4.so was created in /usr/local/lib library, when i gave a make for Freeradius.

Thanks in advance.
-Vishwa.
--

Smile... Tomorrow will be worse.