Couldn't stop Freeradius server on Debian!!

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Tue Apr 4 20:34:53 CEST 2006

On Tue 04 Apr 2006 21:27, lmyho wrote:
> Thanks Peter!  Please see below:
>
> --- Peter Nixon <listuser at peternixon.net> wrote:
> > On Tue 04 Apr 2006 20:17, lmyho wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > I installed freeradius 1.1.0-1 on a debian system (2.6.15-1-686, etch)
> > > 2 days ago, via "aptitude install".  The radius server started well
> > > automatically and each time when the system booting. But when I wanted
> > > to stop it for some test on my modified configuration files, I got
> > > trouble to stop the server!  I tried to stop the server using command:
> > > 'freeradius stop'
> >
> > "/etc/init.d/freeradius stop" works fine on Debian as you would expect.
> > You appear to be directly calling the freeradius binary however which
> > unlike the init script doesn't have a stop (or start) option.
>
> No, "/etc/init.d/freeradius stop" doesn't work! Please see the screen
> output for my just trying:
> Debian:/etc/init.d# freeradius stop
> Tue Apr  4 12:20:48 2006 : Info: Starting - reading configuration files ...
> Debian:/etc/init.d#
> ------------------------
> You can see that the command I gave was correct as you indicated, but the
> result is starting... :(

The command you gave is not correct!
Either use the full command that I gave you above, or if you want to run
something from the local directory like you are trying to, then use
   ./freeradius stop

Just typing "freeradius stop" will use the freeradius binary from your path
NOT from the current dir. Type "which freeradius" if you want to see what you
are executing currently...

Like I said, you need to read up a little more on how unix/linux works. Its
normal, as a newbie you are not expected to know everything all at once but
please DO listen and do what people tell you when they try to help you :-)

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/