Loging of proxied requests

Mike Mitchell mitchell.michael at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 10 12:52:32 CEST 2006

> > Peter Nixon wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be better for us to be a bit more concise
> about things? for
> > > example:
> > >
> > > Mon Aug  7 20:18:40 2006 : Auth: Login incorrect (realm:
> myrealm proxy:
> > > myproxy): [peter/peter] (from client NAS1 port 60000 cli XXXXXXXX)

Yeah, we do similar things, but worse! I hate legacy systems!

I've modified our source so that it puts the Reply-Message (if it exists) in
the Login incorrect message. eg:

 Mon Aug  7 20:18:40 2006 : Auth: Login incorrect (Home server says so:
Account Disabled) [peter] (from client NAS1 port 60000 cli XXXXXXXX)

As we migrate away from legacy systems it gives us a single point of
reference for authentication success/failures and the reasons.

I think it could be very handy to have this log message more configurable,
but I'm not sure what overhead that would add, its at least another call to
xlat, and on a busy system this log is written out a lot!

cheers,
Mike