mac os x build of v1.1.3: "Symbol not found: _debug_flag"

Markus Krause krause at biochem.mpg.de
Tue Aug 29 15:29:02 CEST 2006

Zitat von Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>:
> Markus Krause <krause at biochem.mpg.de> wrote:
> > in more detail: i just checkout out the current cvs content of branch 1_1:
> > cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.freeradius.org:/source checkout -r branch_1_1
> > radiusd
> >
> > and made again "./configure", "make" and "make install" all works like the
> > last cvs checkout!
>
>   And it runs?  Dang...
yes, just verified it again to be sure ...

> > the only obvious difference i could make out is a difference in CFLAGS
>
>   Both usee: -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -DDARWIN -Wall
> -D_GNU_SOURCE
>
>   Not working (1.1.3) uses: -DNDEBUG
>
>   Working (CVS) uses: ... a bunch of -W flags
>
>   The warning flags shouldn't make any difference.  The only thing I
> can think of is that the -DNDEBUG is the cause of the problem, though
> I have no idea why.
>
>   Try building 1.1.3 from scratch again, but this time adding -DNDEBUG
> by hand to the CFLAGS in Make.inc, after "./configure", and before
> "make".  If that works, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
hmm, -DNDEBUG _is_ there after "./configure" ..
i played a bit with the settings (as i am not an experienced developper), even
tried all the -W flags, but with no effect.

but it seems i pointed in the complete wrong direction and oversaw some other
difference (sorry for the misdirection), as there is another difference in
Make.inc:

   the freeradius-1.1.3.tar.gz uses "INSTALLSTRIP = -s"
   whereas the cvs versions use "INSTALLSTRIP = "

so after changing (removal of "-s") and a new "sudo make install" freeradius
starts up successfully and works! i think "-s" tells libtool to strip of debug
information? but it does work on linux (just tested on sles10).

regards

   markus

Markus Krause                                   email: krause at biochem.mpg.de
Mogli-Soft: Support for Mac OS X, Webmail/Horde, LDAP, RADIUS
by order of the Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry
Tel.: 089 - 89 40 85 99                         Fax.: 089 - 89 40 85 98

     This message was sent using https://webmail.biochem.mpg.de
If you encounter any problems please report to rz-linux at biochem.mpg.de