Release 1.1.1 TODO

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Sat Feb 11 03:53:29 CET 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:14:16PM -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Nicolas Baradakis <nbk at sitadelle.com> wrote:
> >> - pull eap fixes from CVS head to address Debian's issues.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>> As Paul noted, the build produces a non-redistributable binary
>> package, but it's a lot better than not working at all :)

>   I have no objection to updating the license to allow linking against
> OpenSSL.

>   Also, the GPL *does* allow this, if OpenSSL is already installed on
> your system.  As proof, it's possible to distribut Solaris binaries of
> GPL'd packages, even though Solaris libc isn't GPL'd.

That's slightly different. The GPL's exception is for things that are
normally part of the OS (ie libc) unless the GPL'd thing is also part of
the OS.

	However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need
	not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source
	or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so
	on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless
	that component itself accompanies the executable.

In Debian, OpenSSL would normally accompany FreeRADIUS if FreeRADIUS
depended on OpenSSL, thanks to apt-get.

The idea of the clause as I understand it is to allow you to run GPL
programs on non-GPL OSs without giving you open slather to write GPLd
code that depends on non-GPLd libraries more than absolutelly
neccessary.

ie. It's no problem to use Solaris' libssl (if I remember correctly that
comes with the OS from Sun) but OpenSSL isn't.

I'm sure there's an FAQ around somewhere that explains it better...

Anyway, the short summary is you can't upload to Debian anything that
has both GPL'd code and links to OpenSSL.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, Bsc, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/