Release 1.1.1 TODO

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Tue Feb 14 01:25:33 CET 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:34:43PM -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Paul TBBle Hampson <Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com> wrote:
> > That's slightly different. The GPL's exception is for things that are
> > normally part of the OS (ie libc) unless the GPL'd thing is also part of
> > the OS.

>   i.e. Since RedHat ships with OpenSSL, linking FreeRADIUS to OpenSSL
> is fine.

Since Red Hat ships with OpenSSL, linking FreeRADIUS to OpenSSL and shipping
it *outside of Red Hat* is fine.  By the most conservative interpretation of
the GPL, shipping it *in* Red Hat would not be.

> > Anyway, the short summary is you can't upload to Debian anything that
> > has both GPL'd code and links to OpenSSL.

>   Debian has always had a slightly odd interpretation of the GPL.

Without case law to settle the license's ambiguities, or a legal budget for
when a copyright holder decides they have a different interpretation of the
license than we do, Debian is always going to err on the side of caution.

FWIW, the GPLv3 draft includes language that appears aimed both at resolving
the license incompatibility with advertising clauses, and resolving the OS
exception ambiguity in favor of people who want to bundle GPL works with
propietary (or at least, incompatibly-licensed) OSes.  As a proponent of
free operating systems I don't really think the latter is a good idea, but
there it is.

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/