question about concurrent auth packet process.

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Mon Jan 2 08:26:12 CET 2006

Liu dejun <dejun.liu at gmail.com> wrote:
> why not restricted the conditions ,and add the if condition to just if the
> total threads exceed  the max threads,if so just add to the thread queue and
> return ,if not do the spawn thread function to spawn a new thread .and do
> this ,it will reduce many functioin calls is this function,at the same time
> it will reduce too much time when too many packets arrived.

  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.  Could you send a
patch implementing what you suggest?

  I *think* you mean to always spawn a new thread, until "max_threads"
is hit.  If that is what you mean, then the current design is intended
to *avoid* spawning new threads as much as possible.

  The overhead of spawning a new thread is much, much, more than a
function call.  So the server does not spawn a new thread unless it
absolutely has to.