freeradius and openssl exception

Nicolas Baradakis nbk at sitadelle.com
Wed Jul 26 21:15:21 CEST 2006

Stephen Gran wrote:

> > The problem with the module rlm_sql_postgresql is the Debian package
> > libpq4 depends on libssl. A user installing freeradius-postgresql also
> > installs libssl through apt-get mechanism.
>
> Oh yes, I understand that - I just am not clear on why this instance
> of transitive linking is actually a problem.  But that's not really an
> issue for discussion on freeradius-dev, I don't think.

It's an issue for debian-legal.

> > When PostgreSQL completes their GnuTLS patch, it could be added
> > as a dpatch in the postgresql source package, so the PostgreSQL
> > client library doesn't depend on libssl anymore, and the
> > freeradius-postgresql package can enter the Debian archive.
>
> That would be nice.  That still leaves us with the eap submodules that
> expect to use openssl directly, though.  They are the ones that
> represent clear problems for binary redistribution, and can only really
> be solved within the freeradius project (well, or within the openssl
> community, but as you pointed out, that seems unlikely).

Concerning the eap submodules, I'm all for Alan's idea of an apt
repository on freeradius.org. We are already maintaining the files
under the debian directory between each releases, therefore there
isn't much additional work. While we are at it, we can also provide
the latest version of FreeRADIUS for the users running Debian Sarge.

--
Nicolas Baradakis