Suggest the following patch for LDAP+EAP-TTLS+PAP+CRYPT

Daniel Larsson daniel.larsson at servicefactory.com
Mon Nov 6 19:32:47 CET 2006

Juan C. Sanchez-DelBarrio wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> I agree with you. Before using EAP-TTLS with PAP, we used MD5 cipher but
> you need to have the LDAP User-Password in plain-text. Our security
> requirement in the LDAP database is that the User-Password must be
> ciphered (CRYPT). We found a good solution using EAP-TTLS with PAP. PAP
> permits us the authentication with CRYPT password. But, the problem is
> that LDAP database includes hash header before password, {crypt}XXXXX.
> How do you compare both passwords?????
>
> 	XXXX == {crypt}XXXX
>
> I propose the next solution:
>
> 	XXXX == XXXX
>
> Other solution???
>
> Thanks!

If you can't use rlm_ldap authentication, you could make the crypt hash
of the passwords yourself, and store it in a normal "directory string"
attribute in LDAP, then export it from rlm_ldap via the ldap.attrmap
file. If you need to store the password as a proper password in LDAP, I
would suggest removing the "{CRYPT}" prefix through some separate module
(e.g. exec), and not in rlm_ldap.