Reemission bug in multi-threaded mode + FreeRADIUS 2.0 roadmap questions

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Nov 14 19:29:07 CET 2006

Chaigneau Nicolas <chaigneaun at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Setting up the serveur in synchronous mode is much simpler, although
> I think we would lose a few features that we need.

  No.

> Detecting a proxy server is dead and failover to a backup server is
> important to us. In the current 1.1.3 version, failover is possible
> only in asynchronous mode. Will failover still be possible in the
> next release of FreeRADIUS ?

  Yes.

> Also, we need to detect that a given proxied request did not receive
> any response, in order to send back a specific response to the NAS
> (Reject or Accept). Would it be possible in synchronous mode ?

  Not right now.  As always, patches are welcome.

> Will the possibility to choose between synchronous and asynchronous
> remain in the CVS head, or do you plan to completely remove
> asynchronous mode ?

  The asynchronous code has already been removed in the CVS head.

> One more point about synchronous mode : currently, timeout and
> retries parameters are global to FreeRADIUS in the "proxy server"
> configuration section.

  Those configurations have been removed in the CVS head.

> If the retransmission mode is synchronous, wouldn't these parameters
> have to be defined per NAS, for instance in the clients.conf file ?

  No.  The settings are on the *NAS*, not in the clients.conf file on
the server.  If you want to change the settings log into the NAS.