radrelay (mode) from cvs head

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Wed Oct 4 09:17:19 CEST 2006

Hi Guys

I am testing radrelay from current cvs on a production server in the hope it
will smooth out the traffic "bumps" however it seems to make them worse due
to the way ot reads and sends huge chunks of packets to the backend (sql) at
the same time.

What happens when the following is logged? Is the packet deleted from the
spool and dropped completely or is it sent again a little later?

Wed Oct  4 10:05:37 2006 : Error: Dropping request (1024 is too many): from
client UNKNOWN-CLIENT port 27272 - ID: 161
Wed Oct  4 10:05:37 2006 : Info: WARNING: Please check the radrelay.conf file.
The value for 'max_requests' is probably set too low.

I have set max_outstanding = 1 in an attempt to limit the number is requests
but it doesn't seem to work. Basically I dont care is accounting requests are
a few seconds late but they should always get to the sql server, and having >
1024 SQL sockets is unrealistic (Currently running with 50 but for this type
of queued situation the fastest config SHOULD be 1-5 sockets depending on
number of cpus and disks in the DB server). I am also running radrelay in
single threaded mode in an attempt to slow it down. (That and the fact it
crashes with "Error: Assertion failed in listen.c, line 620" when running
threaded)

Cheers
--

Peter Nixon