radrelay (mode) from cvs head

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Mon Oct 9 15:01:27 CEST 2006

On Wed 04 Oct 2006 18:04, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Peter Nixon <listuser at peternixon.net> wrote:
> > What happens when the following is logged? Is the packet deleted from the
> > spool and dropped completely or is it sent again a little later?
>
>   It's dropped.
>
> > I have set max_outstanding = 1 in an attempt to limit the number
> > is requests but it doesn't seem to work.
>
>   Hmm... that *should* make a difference.
>
>   And accounting packets shouldn't affect mac_requests, because
> they're deleted from the request list as soon as the reply is sent.

* We are only relaying accounting to sql.
* max_outstanding = 1
* We have turned off the proxy module which stopped the crash in multithreaded
mode.

In multi threaded mode we constantly get:

Mon Oct  9 15:48:46 2006 : Info: rlm_sql (sql-acct): There are no DB handles
to use! skipped 0, tried to connect 0
Mon Oct  9 15:48:46 2006 : Info: rlm_sql (sql-acct): There are no DB handles
to use! skipped 0, tried to connect 0
Mon Oct  9 15:48:46 2006 : Info: rlm_sql (sql-acct): There are no DB handles
to use! skipped 0, tried to connect 0

I have tried setting:

thread pool {
        start_servers = 1
        max_servers = 1
        min_spare_servers = 1
        max_spare_servers = 1
}

This gives:

Mon Oct  9 15:52:43 2006 : Info: The maximum number of threads (1) are active,
cannot spawn new thread to handle request
Mon Oct  9 15:52:43 2006 : Info: The maximum number of threads (1) are active,
cannot spawn new thread to handle request
Mon Oct  9 15:52:43 2006 : Info: The maximum number of threads (1) are active,
cannot spawn new thread to handle request
Mon Oct  9 15:52:43 2006 : Info: The maximum number of threads (1) are active,
cannot spawn new thread to handle request

I cannot figure out any way to make radrelay do anything close to sane
behaviour except for when its running in single theaded mode (-s command line
switch)

Is there a config option I am missing? If not we need to change this behaviour
as it is clearly insane to assume that a backend (even detail backend, let
alone sql) can WRITE to disk as fast as radrelay can READ from disk..

For now I am leaving my startup script (and the one in cvs) set to single
threaded mode... Which may not actually be a stupid as it sounds.. At lease
where only one sql backend is in use.

Cheers
--

Peter Nixon