Configurable Logging

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Sep 22 20:15:34 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 11:55 -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Peter Nixon <listuser at peternixon.net> wrote:
> > OK. No replies, so here is there patch.
>
>   Looks good to me.
>
>   I think many of the current log messages could be updated to use
> this new API.  Each module could have a "log {}" subsection, with
> messages that can be edited and changed.
>
>   It's a bit of work, but very useful.
>
>   Another idea is "super duper debugging mode", which would create a
> directory per request, in that create a directory per authorize/etc
> section, and then create yet another directory for each module it
> runs.  That final directory would contain the complete list of
> input/output pairs for check, request, reply, etc.
>
>   It's annoyingly huge, but it's a definitive view into which module
> is mangling what attribute.

It would be nice if the log file name and directory hierarchy could
be defined using xlat and could be auto created based on defined
criteria as well. This would allow as a simple example :

logfile="/var/log/radius/%Y/%m/%d/radius-%{Client-Ip-Address:-log}"

I had hoped I would have had time to look at solving this myself
but have not had any time.