Small feature request.

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 12:30:01 CEST 2007

Hi,

SQL based nas query, expects 5 fields , Row ID , Name (Used to identify
the client) , Shortname , Type and Secret.

I was wondering if it was possible / easy , to make RowID available as
the request attribute Client-Uniqueid.

That can be then used in subsequent queries to retrieve information
about the connecting client.

We were originally using Called-Station-Id , and then matching it to the
hw_address of the record in our DB, but we then realised some NAS
were sending Called-Station-Id's which bore little resemblance to their
base mac addresses (Hp Procurve switches).

We could use client shortnames, but the client shortnames we record in
the database are not unique, as they're used as the machine name in
FQDN's (so the same shortname can exist across different domains).

We could use Pcket-Src-Ip-Address , but as the IP address in the
database in split into four fields (ip1,ip2,ip3,ip4) , one for  each
octet, it requires the address to be split using a regular expression,
prior to querying (which is not exactly an ideal solution).

Making the Row ID available would give us a Unique Identifier for a NAS
, which could be used to query the database quickly and efficiently.

If it's too much trouble, I can think of a few other ways to do the same
thing, just this is the most efficient way.

Thanks,
Arran

--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk)
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer