CVS Server

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 28 13:46:11 CEST 2007

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> Ok whats horrible about subversion ? I actually quite like it, and it's
> strange eccentric way of updating directory structures ... and deleting
> files... and that you can only checkout a folder and not a single file,
> which is fine for source code...

  It has a huge number of dependencies.  Yes, this is less of an issue
today with better package managers than when it first started.  But...
any issue in a dependency MAY affect subversion.

  It keeps all of the data in databases... which then get corrupted.
It's slow.  (very, very, slow).  And branches aren't directories.  Tags
aren't version controlled.

  The Samba people are starting to move away from Subversion, and
they've been using it for a while.

> But still. It's ok , it's just a tad 'special'.
>
> You don't tell it to do something, you coax it into doing it, often in a
> sneaky and underhanded way.

  Mercurial always does what you expect.  It does things quickly.  It's
easy to use.  It never screws anything up.  There's only one ".hg"
directory.  The plugins are very useful.