Escaping of User Names

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Tue Feb 6 07:19:10 CET 2007

On Mon 05 Feb 2007 14:50, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Peter Nixon wrote:
> > The errors Postgresql shows in the log are:
> > 2007-02-05 14:22:59 EET saaas raduser ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for
> > encoding "UTF8": 0x85
> > 2007-02-05 14:23:26 EET saaas raduser ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for
> > encoding "UTF8": 0x87
>
>   Ah, yes.  The standard encoding problems.
>
>   RADIUS usernames are supposed to be UTF-8, but as you can see, the
> user isn't following that.
>
>   The solution is probably to hack "sql_safe_chars" to escape characters
> above 0x80, or to have it validate UTF-8 strings... and then escape
> non-UTF-8 characers.

Eeek. The user? Shouldn't the NAS be checking this then?

I am wondering why I am only getting the error from sqlippool and not from
the sql accounting or auth queries. It makes me think that we are not doing
something correctly in sqlippool. If you have a moment would you be able to
look at the sqlippool code and tell me if we are doing something incredibly
stupid?

Regards

--

Peter Nixon