freeradius-client

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Fri Jan 26 09:17:00 CET 2007

On Thu 25 Jan 2007 22:34, Chris Parker wrote:
> Following up my own email, after further digging, it appears that
> this is an MD5 related issue.
>
> FreeRADIUS uses it's own MD5.c, based on public domain implementation
> from OpenBSD.
> Client uses an MD5.c that is from RSA.
>
> I seem to recall there being issues with this in the past, which is
> why FreeRADIUS forces it's own MD5 to be used

Is this an architecture problem? What type of system are you running on?

> Is there any reason freeradius-client couldn't use the same MD5.c/h
> at FreeRADIUS?

No, and yes...

FreeRADIUS-Client is currently BSD licensed, and we would prefer to keep it
that way to allow maximum possible usage of a "good" radius client library.

A quick look at the top of md5.c in freeradius-server reveals:
/*
 *  md5.c       MD5 message-digest algorithm
 *
 *  Version:    $Id: md5.c,v 1.19 2006/11/14 21:21:49 fcusack Exp $
 *
 *  This file is licensed under the LGPL, but is largely derived
 *  from public domain source code.
 */

Then a little further down:

/*      The below was retrieved from
 *
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/src/sys/crypto/md5.c?rev=1.1
 *      with the following changes:
 *      #includes commented out.
 *      Support context->count as uint32_t[2] instead of uint64_t
 *      u_int* to uint*
 */

cvs annotate src/lib/md5.c also shows quite minor changes by Alan and a
couple of others.

The others are Frank who added #include <freeradius-devel/ident.h> and nbk
who changed the comments. The initial import was by Paul.

Guys... Do any of you have a problem with us relicensing this file under the
BSD license to allow it to be used in freeradius-client?

TIA

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/