freeradius-client

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Sat Jan 27 03:13:50 CET 2007

On January 27, 2007 12:11:21 PM +1100 Paul TBBle Hampson
<Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 04:53:17PM -0800, Frank Cusack wrote:
>> On January 27, 2007 11:50:38 AM +1100 Paul TBBle Hampson
>> <Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com> wrote:
>> > (It's been brought to my attention since that you can't actually choose
>> > to put things in the public domain in the US anymore,
>
>> Oh?
>
> So I'm told, anyway. I'm not in the US, so I haven't researched this too
> hard, but it seems that since copyright in the US became automatic, the
> only way something goes into the public domain is to have copyright
> expire.

Copyright has been automatic for a long time.  You just put things into
the public domain by relinquishing the copyright (at time of authorship
or later).

There was a recent legal attempt to make copyright opt-in, which was
rejected.  I think there was also something to do with abandonware
which was also rejected, but I might misremember that bit.  Well,
could be wrong on the first bit also. :-)

-frank