possibly acceptable workaround for rlm_perl/dlopen problem on Debian

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 6 14:19:52 CEST 2007

Enrik Berkhan wrote:
> after thinking over the libperl.so/dlopen problem with rlm_perl on
> Debian, I have found the following workaround:
>
> Just dlopen(libperl.so, RTLD_LAZY|RTLD_GLOBAL) from rlm_perl again. This
> will have no effect but making the symbols globally visible since the
> library has been opened already during the load of rlm_perl.

  Except you can't dlopen libperl.so, because it doesn't exist on the
system.  Instead, you've got to dlopen libperl.so.5.8.

  No.  That's broken.

> What do you think about this compromise?

  It's horrible.

  I'm going to update the "configure" script so that it tries to compile
using the "perl ... ldopts" flags.  If that fails, it will complain
loudly that your system is broken, and you should file a bug, or add to
a existing bug report.