possibly acceptable workaround for rlm_perl/dlopen problem on Debian

Enrik Berkhan enrik#freeradius at planb.de
Fri Jul 6 17:02:55 CEST 2007

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Enrik Berkhan wrote:
>   It's broken.
>
>   if the shared libraries had proper inter-library dependencies, then
> different libfoo.so.X could be installed without a problem.  But because
> there's no inter-library dependencies, those dependencies have to be
> managed with packages.  WTF?

I do agree completely. inter-library dependencies would be the Right
Thing[pm]. But I suspect it won't be easy to convince the Debian perl
maintainers to change their core package ... I might be wrong though.
Who wants to file the bug?

On the other hand, I would like to have an acceptable workaround to
promote FreeRADIUS with working rlm_perl for Debian.

>> This is the behaviour that would have to be kind of re-implemented by
>> the workaround: Decide at build time using the generic current libfoo.so
>> what concrete versioned library to dlopen at run time. Should be
>> feasible by using some kind of AC_TRY_LINK and ldd or so. But in
>> portable way, argh :)

Hmm ...

> $ perl -V:libperl
> libperl='libperl.so.5.8.4';