Block wiki spammer.

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Sun Jul 8 14:19:53 CEST 2007

Peter Nixon wrote:
> On Sun 08 Jul 2007, Alan DeKok wrote:
>
>> Alan DeKok wrote:
>>
>>>   Can we simply take the Wiki down until it's cleaned of all spam and
>>> spamming users?
>>>
>>   After some searching on the fscking media wiki site...  (Searching for
>> "list users" doesn't get you the list users page first, but another one)
>>
>>   There are over 1600 users registered with the Wiki.  This is
>> intolerable.  The wiki needs to come down.
>>

> I have already blocked all user creation several weeks ago. (For the second
> time) but there seems to have been some spam bots which create hundreds of
> users, wait a few weeks, and then start using a new user each day to spam.
> Aside from deleting all
As stated earlier the spam accounts are easy to spot, they consist of 6
random alpha numeric characters or 10 random numeric characters, there
are hundreds ...

I suggest you run a delete query against your authentication database,
looking for usernames that match those criteria... you'll get a few
proper users, but it'll stop the spam..