radrelay in 1.1.x and in 2.x

Geoffroy Arnoud garnoud at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 09:57:59 CET 2007

> Geoffroy Arnoud wrote:
> > I mean having:
> > - One FreeRADIUS receiving input acct/auth,
> forwarding
> > auth and logging acct
> > - One radrelay forwarding acct to another
> FreeRADIUS,
> > with all the realms defined
> > - The last FreeRADIUS performing async forwarding,
> > retransmissions and dead server detection
>
>   I'm not sure what you mean by that...  Your
> somewhat clearer.
>
>   If you want to proxy accounting data to home
> server A, or if it's
> down, B, or if it's down, C... then the server
> already supports that.
> It's *not* a function of radrelay, it's a function
> of the server.

Yes, the server does this, but not for only one
request. Once server A is detected dead, the
accounting request is discarded, no? So the accounting
request is not tried on server B. FreeRADIUS needs
another accounting-request.

With the proposed architecture, When request is
discarded, radrelay would not have acct-response, and
would therefore try again, this time the FreeRADIUS
would fallback to server B and so on. In theory, no
Accounting request is lost for the remote severs

Regards,

Geoffroy