HUP handling: a thought

Daniel Larsson daniel.larsson at servicefactory.com
Wed May 2 19:23:29 CEST 2007

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Peter Nixon wrote:
>> The system should do _something_ when it receives -HUP (other than crash). It
>> this turns out to be a full restart, then so be it...
>
>   So there's a requirement to handle HUP.  I don't see why.

I don't see why this should be a requirement either. Most operating
systems have an abstraction layer on top of the daemon, such as RedHat's
'service' command, or FreeBSD's rc.subr framework. Use that as the
common abstraction, not HUP signals (if it's commonality you're looking
for).

Would your SQL scheme support modifying any configuration item,
including module specific ones?