HUP handling: a thought

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 4 04:28:06 CEST 2007

Frank Cusack wrote:
> I don't see any special advantage then for SQL.  It's not like you're
> going to do specialized config queries against freeradius.  You're not
> going to write your config in SQL statements.

  Exactly.  The benefit, however, is to avoid writing yet another
api/tool to modify a running configuration.

> Additionally, computing a SQL "diff" sounds error prone to me.

  I wouldn't recommend it, but it's possible.

>>   Yes.  The problem is simplified by having almost everything tied to a
>> REQUEST.  So anything "live" is either a thread handling a REQUEST, or a
>> REQUEST waiting for something.  And REQUESTs point to clients & home
>> servers via one pointer, which is easy to manage.
>
> Easily done without SQL.

  Suggestions?

  After spending some time on this, there isn't a ready-made solution
that I've found.  Looking on the net, few servers other than OpenLDAP
support dynamic run-time changes to the config.  And they all do so via
a DB interface.