Modifying User-Name and User-Password attributes in a module

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Apr 9 16:02:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

> I've been working on a freeradius module which will operate in pre-proxy
> and post-proxy mode. I need to modify the user-password
> (PW_USER_PASSWORD) attribute in pre-proxy and return an RLM_MODULE_UPDATED.

Hm, why doesn't updating this stuff with

update request {
	User-Name := whatever
	User-Password := wh4t3v3r
}

in the pre-proxy section work? No need for a module then... And if I may ask,
why would you need to modify name and password for proxying? If it's just
about cutting out realms, there is an excellent realm module to do that for
you.

> And last question, Is it safe to modify the Proxy-State attribute in
> pre-proxy stage? somewhere in event.c, the comments says that, RFC
> requires it (Proxy-State)  but freeradius doesn't need it, and just
> fills it with packet->id (which is a random number). Since RFC forbids
> adding more than one Proxy-State too the packet, and also having in mind
> that I don't want to introduce a new attribute (bothering dictionary
> files), Can I use the same Proxy-State (filed by freeradius with
> packet->id) to store my own data in it ?

Again, why on earth would you want to do that? If you want to send information
in a packet, there's no need to abuse Proxy-State... define your own
attribute.

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg