length of data greater than 253

wlan at mac.com wlan at mac.com
Thu Mar 27 09:49:09 CET 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Cristian Novac wrote:
[...]
> I think this solution may work for me too(splitting the attribute);
> could you tell me how have you done this?because implicitly
> freeradius doesn't do the split;
> Do you have a patch for this?

No patch required, as you are just inserting vendor specific
attributes and coding the logic behind the VSAs.

Assuming you are using a VSA (which always requires a bit of client
and server support), you can chunk up your data into individual
attributes and insert them in order into the request. Server-side,
simply reassemble - much like an EAP-Message.

On Mar 27, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Alan DeKok wrote:
[...]
>   It doesn't do that because there's no standard way to do it.

EAP-Message is at least an example - and why one can be assured that
attributes maintain their ordering in the packet, no?

>   If you want to have longer attributes, you need to modify *both* the
> client and the server.  In most cases, you can't modify the client
> (e.g.
> commercial equipment), so modifying the server is a waste of time.

What if you aren't using commercial equipment and _do_ have control
over both client and server :)

David