RTLD_GLOBAL and sql_ippool

Stephen Gran steve at lobefin.net
Wed May 7 02:50:59 CEST 2008

Hi all,

So, we've had this bug open for a while at (1), and I guess we've hit on
a solution, of sorts.  The problem is that we're not using the bundled
libltdl (we're using the one packaged in Debian) and so rlm_sql isn't
loaded with RTLD_GLOBAL, so loading of rlm_sqlippool fails.  The only
thing that really makes sense to me is to rlm_sqlippool declare that it
needs symbols from rlm_sql (a .NEEDED section in the elf header for us),
so that it works no matter which way libltdl is set up.  This means
adding rlm_sql.la on the link line, which I'm concerned is likely to be
unportable across platforms.

Do any of you have a better idea about how to proceed?  Several other,
probably worse, options have occured to me, but I won't bore you with
all the details just now.

There is a new version of libltdl out there that has new functions for
all dlopen'ed objects to be loaded without.

Thanks all,

1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=448699
|  Stephen Gran                  | "What is wanted is not the will to      |
|  steve at lobefin.net             | believe, but the will to find out,      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | which is the exact opposite."   --      |
|                                | Bertrand Russell, _Sceptical_Essays_,   |
|                                | 1928                                    |