Malformed RADIUS packet from host

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu May 29 12:16:18 CEST 2008

rsg wrote:
> The objective in my case is simply to send selected set of AVPs like
> Acct-Session-Id and Framed-IP-Address to the home server.

  That's nice.  It doesn't solve the problem that the home server is
broken.  Fix it.  If you can't fix it, replace it with a RADIUS server
that works.

> I need to achieve two things.
>
> 1) Need to satisfy successful delivery of Accounting-Request to the home server.
>
> 2) This Accounting transaction has to be transparent to the
> Client(NAS). (With the general Proxy setup this is quite difficult
> achieve and I see Duplicate requests originated from NAS for
> incomplete transactions.

  Both of these are possible with a home server that works.  Your home
server does not work, so these requirements are impossible to achieve.

  No amount of playing with FreeRADIUS or the NAS will fix the home server.

> Here when the proxy receives a malformed packet from the home
> server..Accounting transaction is unfinished thus the NAS retries with
> duplicate requests. That's why I want to make the Proxying of
> Accounting transparent to the NAS.

  It *is* transparent to the NAS... when the home server works.  Your
home server does not work.

> Would it be possible to achieve these with the proxy configuration?
> Theoretically it may not sound sensible, however I would like to have
> your expert opinion on this.

  Your home server is broken.  I really can't emphasize this enough.
Throw it away.  It's garbage.  Your home server is *not* a RADIUS server.