Can someone confirm that glibc 2.4 is now a requirement?

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Thu Sep 11 17:10:51 CEST 2008

List,

I have an old machine that is still in use running glibc 2.3 and can't
get freeradius 2.1.0 or the latest git to compile because of this error:

gcc -o .libs/radeapclient .libs/radeapclient.o
libeap/.libs/libfreeradius-eap.so
/mnt/data/software/linux/slackware/10.1/packages/daemons/freeradius-server/radiusd/src/lib/.libs/libfreeradius-radius.so
-lnsl -lresolv -lpthread -lreadline -ltermcap -lssl -lcrypto
/mnt/data/software/linux/slackware/10.1/packages/daemons/freeradius-server/radiusd/src/lib/.libs/libfreeradius-radius.so:
undefined reference to `___tls_get_addr'

My reading suggests that I need glibc 2.4 to have tls built in.  Can
someone confirm that is the case or is there some way to compile without it?

I should also mention that 2.1.0 fails to compile on my newer hosts, but
the latest git fixes that so 2.1.1 will fix my compilation issues on my
newer machines.

schu