Questions about source code

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Sep 22 10:24:12 CEST 2008

Hao Wang wrote:
> 1. In which variable (and in which file) in the source code is the
> session key (or TEK) stored after successful authentication?

  TEK?  What's that?

  And which session key are you referring to?

> I have to
> use it. In the src/modules/rlm_eap/libeap/eapcrypto.c file,
> eapsim_calculate_keys() produces 4 other keys after ek->master_key is
> calculated. Is one of them used as the session key? And where is the
> session key if PAP authentication is used?

  If you're not sure... it would be best to go read the specifications.
 They define what the session key is.

> 2. What symmetric-key encryption/decryption algorithm (like AES,
> Twofish, or others) is used? And where is it in the source code?

  It's not.  FreeRADIUS uses OpenSSL, which implements all of the
encryption code.

> 3. If I want to generate a key from a random integer, is it proper to
> use SHA-1?

  Go read the specifications to see how the keys are supposed to be
generated.