Looking to pay for customization

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 15 09:52:46 CEST 2009

Eric Geier wrote:
> Thank you all for your comments.
>
> What I don't understand is that it seems like it was very easy to do in a
> previous version:
> http://lists.cistron.nl/pipermail/freeradius-devel/2005-January/007870.html
> http://lists.cistron.nl/pipermail/freeradius-devel/2005-January/007871.html

  Yes.  Things change.

  The code in 2.x is a lot more capable than 1.x.  However, as a result,
it has some limitations that 1.x didn't.

  e.g. Shared secrets can now be any length, not just 32 characters.
However, this means that the shared secrets *cannot* be defined per
request packet.  They *must* be defined per client.

> Can something similar be done in version 2?

  See "dynamic clients".  That code could be updated to "peek" at the
entire packet, and create new clients based on more than just the IP
address.

  But it *is* more work than it would have been in 1.x.