dynamic number of SQL sockets?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 24 12:53:27 CEST 2009

Stefan Winter wrote:
> In short: more sockets would have solved the problem. But you wouldn't
> want so many sockets day-to-day. Something dynamic would be a really
> nice feature. In a way just like the thread pool of FreeRADIUS itself is
> managed: define a minimum number of SQL sockets, and a min-spare,
> max-spare, max-total pair so that the number of connections grows and
> shrinks as required.
>
> Does that feature make sense?

  Yes and no.  I'm wary of adding yet *another* pool implementation to
the server.

  I'd rather just get rid of the SQL pool code entirely.  Instead, it
should create one SQL socket per thread, and keep re-using that in the
same thread.  More threads will give you more sockets.  When the thread
goes away, the socket can be closed, too.