Debian build fails with current GIT

Chris Moules chris at gms.lu
Mon Feb 16 10:17:49 CET 2009

Hi All,

On Friday I started to look at building a Debian package for deployment on a amd64 server. I had been building some development
packages on a i686 system up till now. As the git tree has some patches that I need, I grabbed the latest tree.

I am having an issue trying to build a Debian package. It looks like some other changes since the 2.1.3 release have broken a
few parts for the (Debian) build system.

This morning pulling the latest git tree and doing a reset for good measure I (still) get:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
git reset --hard
Checking out files: 100% (1281/1281), done.
HEAD is now at 1cbf67e Added sample commands

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: source package freeradius
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2.1.1-0
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Alan DeKok <aland at freeradius.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
dpatch  apply-all  --verbose
applying patch 01-radiusd-to-freeradius to ./ ...
patching file Make.inc.in
Hunk #1 succeeded at 48 with fuzz 1.
patching file raddb/radiusd.conf.in
Hunk #1 FAILED at 33.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 112 with fuzz 2 (offset 17 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 164 with fuzz 2 (offset 43 lines).
1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file raddb/radiusd.conf.in.rej

make: *** [patch-stamp] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

This patch, I have patched. I tried "git format-patch" this time so I hope it is in the correct format.

After this, the build process ran a little further but errors in the configure at:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
checking for setkey in -lcipher... no
checking gethostbyaddr_r() syntax... GNU-style
checking gethostbyname_r() syntax... GNU-style
checking ctime_r() syntax... POSIX-style
top_builddir=/home/src/git/freeradius-server2
configure: updating cache config.cache
configure: error: conditional "INSTALL_LTDL" was never defined.
Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.
make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Looking into the 'configure' file and the change log I could see that there has been a number of modifications here. I could not
see why INSTALL_LTDL_[TRUE|FALSE] was not set. Putting some debug 'echo's into the configure file showed that the "if test
x"${enable_ltdl_install-no}" != xno; then" block was not even processed.

Info:
Debian Lenny (5.0) - Testing
All default packages - All up-to-date
Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-1-amd64