Debian build fails with current GIT

Chris Moules chris at gms.lu
Thu Feb 19 17:02:18 CET 2009

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Chris Moules wrote:
>> On Friday I started to look at building a Debian package for deployment
>> on a amd64 server. I had been building some development packages on a
>> i686 system up till now. As the git tree has some patches that I need, I
>> grabbed the latest tree.
>>
>> I am having an issue trying to build a Debian package. It looks like
>> some other changes since the 2.1.3 release have broken a few parts for
>> the (Debian) build system.
>
>   The debian packages rename the server from "radiusd" to "freeradius".
>  In an effort to simplify the configuration, and remove extra patches,
> we've added a "name=radiusd" configuration entry.  That name is now used
> (almost) everywhere, in preference to hard-coded "radiusd".
>
>   The patch you supplied changes "${name}.pid" to "freeradius.pid".
> Instead, it should change the "name=radiusd" to "name=freeradius" line.
>
>   There are a number of other references to ${name}, so changing that
> one reference will fix all of the others.
>
>   Alan DeKok.

Understood. The following patch should correct the Debian patch with this in mind.
One other Debian related note, git 'master' branch does not have the latest debian/changelog. This is showing version 2.1.1.
I am still learning git and so am not sure how to move things about yet...

--

This still leaves, however, the following configure/build issue. I am not sure if this is just Debian related.
Below is, what I think is, relevant configure output. As I stated in the previous mail, it looks like neither INSTALL_LTDL_TRUE

--

$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: source package freeradius
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2.1.1-0
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Alan DeKok <aland at freeradius.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
   fakeroot debian/rules clean
dpatch  deapply-all
02-dialupadmin-help not applied to ./ .
01-radiusd-to-freeradius not applied to ./ .
rm -rf patch-stamp patch-stampT debian/patched
..
..
ln -s /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
./configure \
                  --build x86_64-linux-gnu \
                  --config-cache \
                  --prefix=/usr \
                  --exec-prefix=/usr \
                  --mandir=/usr/share/man \
                  --sysconfdir=/etc \
                  --libdir=/usr/lib/freeradius \
                  --datadir=/usr/share \
                  --localstatedir=/var \
                  --with-raddbdir=/etc/freeradius \
                  --with-logdir=/var/log/freeradius \
                  --with-system-libtool --disable-ltdl-install \
                  --with-large-files --with-udpfromto --with-edir \
                  --enable-developer \
                  --with-rlm-sql-postgresql-lib-dir=`pg_config --libdir` \
                  --with-rlm-sql-postgresql-include-dir=`pg_config --includedir`
configure: creating cache config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
..
..
checking for make... /usr/bin/make
checking for lt_dlinit in -lltdl... yes
configure: WARNING: not overwriting libltdl at /usr, force with `--enable-ltdl-install'
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
..
..
checking for TLS... yes
checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
checking for setkey in -lcipher... no
checking gethostbyaddr_r() syntax... GNU-style
checking gethostbyname_r() syntax... GNU-style
checking ctime_r() syntax... POSIX-style
top_builddir=/home/src/git/freeradius-server2
configure: updating cache config.cache
configure: error: conditional "INSTALL_LTDL" was never defined.
Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.
make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2