GnuTLS and FreeRADIUS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 24 18:40:47 CET 2009

Carolin Latze wrote:
> I was searching for some time now and I found a lot of messages from
> people who wanted to replace the OpenSSL dependencies in FreeRADIUS with
> GnuTLS. But so far it seems, that nobody really did that, is that right?
> Or has there been work on that and it failed for some reason? To be
> honest I have absolutely no idea how complicated that will be but at
> least I don't expect it to be easy. :)

  It's hard.  The GNUTLS stuff contains wrappers for OpenSSL.  However,
they also got a number of things in their API wrong. (From what I recall
about the last time I checked).  This made using GnuTLS difficult.

  Hostap has wrapper functions around OpenSSL, GnuTLS, and their own
implementation of SSL.  It may be worth investigating that API, too.