2.1.8 and 2.2.0

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Oct 22 11:47:57 CEST 2009

  Is it worth having two versions of the server?  i.e. releasing 2.1.8
*and* 2.2.0 at the same time?

  The reason is that current "stable" branch contains some fairly major
changes (TCP), and more are on the way.  The next things involve
changing the internal API, which pretty much mandates a 2.2.0.

  However, there are also a number of bug fixes which could go into
2.1.7 and any following release.

  The question then is, do we want to have BOTH:

2.1.8 = 2.1.7 + bug fixes ONLY

2.2.0 = major new features + any fixes

  OR, do we want to give up on 2.1.8, and just release 2.2.0?

  There are pros and cons both ways.  Having a stable 2.1.8 is good.
But maintaining two versions could confuse people.