contributions to client

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 28 16:23:46 CEST 2010

Valentin Nechayev wrote:
> Hi,
> PortaOne, Inc. uses freeradius-client in some our products. We want
> to pass some of our changes to upstream.
> Which form is preferrable for this?
> - post a bug for each
> - post a patch for each to this list (LKML style)
> - post a description with link

  Please post a patch for each one.  For now, it's the easiest.

  Please also check the current CVS.  It has a number of bugs fixed and
code has been changed.  If your patches are against an old version of
the code, it makes it more difficult to apply them.

> Currently they are
> - add generating of Message-Authenticator (RFC3579)
> - switching from gethostbyname*() to getaddrinfo() (suitable for all our
>   platforms and conforms to latter standards)
> - printing unknown attributes in response using special syntax
>   to aid in issue debugging, instead of dropping the whole response

  I suggest using the FreeRADIUS-server style "Vendor-%d-Attr-%d".  It's
simple, and easily understandable.

> - generating correct error code in case of unparseable response
> - allow to differ source address and NAS-IP-Address in request
> - multiple servers in config file
> - remove endian check and macros as unused and conflicting
> - misc. fixes on compiler warnings

  All of these sound very useful.