building freeradius statically

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 15 08:01:50 CET 2010

Verma Anurag-VNF673 wrote:
> I am trying to build static version of freeradius by passing
>  --enable-static --enable-shared=no  to configure. However, I get an
> error related to static link of dynamic object libltdl.so.  In the make
> output I can see it is explicitly referring to this shared library. How
> can I tell it to link with libltdl.a (which is already existing) instead?

  For that issue, find the "libtool" developers, and tell them to stop
re-writing linker lines.  It's ignorant and annoying.  The build
specifies linking to a particular file, and libtool re-writes that
command to something else.

  But the issues are larger than that.  FreeRADIUS is built on a modular
architecture.  And the modules are dynamic libraries.  So statically
linking everything will be impossible without major additional work.