DHCP server working in production now

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 23 18:45:51 CEST 2011

Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:
> I was not being rude.  I just expressed my genuine startledness.

  You were implying that I was lying to you.

> I admit that I didn't read all the archives.  I read the code first
> and found numerous spots where it was marked "Does not work" and
> a lot of the code broke due to different macros, and I found places
> which simply said "Fill in code here".  So I assumed that it's not
> in production.

  And when I told you it was used in production, you implied I was lying
to you.  That's rude.

> I am going to make it comprehensible before resubmitting.

  That's good to hear.

> It might not seem like that, but I don't think I corrupted this ability.
> I want/need that flexibility myself, so I was very careful to preserve it.

  See src/lib/dhcp.c.  You deleted tons of "pairfind VP, use contents in
DHCP packet".

>> 	MAC A -> DHCP server B
>> 	MAC X -> DHCP server Y
>
> Interesting.  Haven't seen those "in the wild" yet.  But yes, I didn't
> know people did this.

  They *want* to do it.  They either do it with horrible hacks, or they
don't.  They usually can't, because of the ridiculous limitations of the
existing DHCP relays.