how to originate disconnect message from NAS [radius client]

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Aug 31 13:41:12 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 07:46:45PM +0530, sundararaman.dheivanayagam at wipro.com wrote:
>    Thanks for the response.  NAS will send account-stop request to RADIUS,
>    which in turn trigger the disconnect message [release the ip address
>    assigned earlier] to NAS.

I think there is some confusion going on here.

An Accounting-Stop message is an indication from the NAS that the session
has ended. It does *not* trigger a Disconnect-Request message.

A Disconnect-Request message is from the radius server to the NAS, to
forcibly disconnect them on demand.

http://wiki.freeradius.org/Disconnect-Messages
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3576.txt

It's something of a frig, and in my experience rarely implemented (you'd
probably be better off using SNMP to disconnect a user, or using the
Session-Timeout attribute if all you want to do is disconnect them after a
certain amount of time online)

Regards,

Brian.