PCRE in 3.0?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jul 25 14:36:26 CEST 2011

On 25 Jul 2011, at 14:11, Phil Mayers wrote:

> Do we think there's value in using a better regexp library in 3.0?
>
> The Exim guys wrote PCRE and bundled it with the Exim source until relatively recently, so if we don't want an external dependency that might be an option (having said that, they removed it about a year ago and it's a dependency now)

Yes absolutely. Atomic look around is very useful... and i'm not sure if Extended regexp supports non capturing sub expressions... i.e. (?:stuff). I wonder how difficult it'd be to work in named captures... /(?<request:Stripped-User-Name>[^@\\/])/...

Regular expressions are a bit of crutch in unlang, they do the work of chomp/split/substr etc, so the more powerful and feature-full the better.

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb at freeradius.org

RADIUS - Half the complexity of Diameter