PCRE in 3.0?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 15:35:25 CEST 2011

On 25/07/11 13:56, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Phil Mayers wrote:
>> Do we think there's value in using a better regexp library in 3.0?
>
>    Yes.
>
>> The Exim guys wrote PCRE and bundled it with the Exim source until
>> relatively recently, so if we don't want an external dependency that
>> might be an option (having said that, they removed it about a year ago
>> and it's a dependency now)
>
>    We can add pcre support.  So long as there's the typical
> configure/ifdef magic to make it work.
>
>    If you're doing a patch, just make sure that the ifdef's are there.  I
> can go fight with configure.

I'm in South America for 3 weeks from Saturday, so will be unlikely to
look at this myself until September.

However, PCRE has a posix-compatible API, so it could be as simple as
replacing:

#include <regex.h>

...with:

#ifdef HAVE_PCREPOSIX_H
  #include <pcreposix.h>
#else
  #include <regex.h>
#endif

...and adding "-lpcreposix" to the link libs. I might have a quick go at
that today.