Review request: rlm_xmlrpc

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Jun 24 09:50:06 CEST 2011

Hi Angelo,

Do you know if the xml-rpc library you're calling keeps the tcp connections open to the RPC server? XML-RPC is quite an inefficient method of communicating with external services, so the added overhead of establishing a new TCP connection for every request, may prove problematic in high traffic environments.

Thanks,
Arran

On Jun 23, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I wrote a simple module to interface freeradius with a webserver via
> xmlrpc. This is an excerpt from the readme:
>
> "Have you ever wanted to trigger an action real time when the user
> logs in or logs off in freeradius?
> This module born to solve this problem in a message passing fashion
> using the xmlrpc tecnology
> really common to web application.
>
> With this module you can write a custom application that exposes an
> xmlrpc method as an entry point
> for radius accounting packets. This way you can trigger an event on
> your webservice at the same
> time freeradius processes accounting packets. ..."
>
> I think this module could be usefull and I wrote it just for fun and profit!
>
> The module is not heavily tested in production, but it is in
> production from a few days on a low traffic machine, just to test and
> stress it.
>
> I will be really gratefull to anyone who wants to use it or contribute
> to it, hoping that it will be added to freeradius in a near future!
>
> You can find the sources on github:
>
> https://github.com/angeloc/rlm_xmlrpc
>
> Angelo.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/devel.html

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb at freeradius.org

RADIUS - Half the complexity of Diameter