FreeRADIUS can't make progress under certain load

Alan T DeKok aland at freeradius.org
Sat Sep 10 19:29:19 CEST 2011

rihad wrote:
> Don't you think 5 second delay is pretty unusual for a LAN.

  You misunderstand.

  The packets are reaching the server just fine.  You've configured the
server to do *something* strange.  So it's taking more than 20 seconds
to respond.

  This does not happen in the default configuration.

> Yes, UDP
> acct packets sometimes get dropped and never reach the server, but the
> delay... It's much safer to sometimes drop 2 auth requests in a row for
> the reason you stated than allow the server to reach a point where it's
> unable to make further progress doing _current_ work.

  *You* are the one who allowed the server to reach a point where it
can't make progress.

  The server *is* dropping the authentication requests.  See the log
output you posted.

  I suggest understanding how RADIUS works before offering advice.

> That's hundreds if not thousands (if you count acct packets too) of
> requests all reaching the server nearly at the same time.

  The server can handle 1000's and even 10's of 1000's of packets per
second.  If you are seeing performance less than that, it's because
you've configured something to be slow.

  i.e. you're putting the accounting packets into a slow DB, or a DB
without indexes.

  When you make FreeRADIUS depend on something else like a slow DB, then
the server performance is limited by that DB.

  Blaming FreeRADIUS isn not appropriate.

  Alan DeKok.