Tracking packet/s in the server

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Feb 23 12:36:45 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 05:30:18PM +0100, Alan DeKok wrote:
>   If the queue is more than half full, AND the rate of entry is larger
> than the exit rate, it throws the accounting packet away.  All other
> packet types are unaffected.
>
>   The idea here is for the server to automatically adapt to overload
> conditions.  If it's getting traffic than it can handle, it starts to
> throw away that traffic.
>
>   Suggestions for better heuristics are welcomed.

How about WRED?

e.g. if queue is more than 50% full then randomly drop incoming packets
with a probability of (1 - (cur_queue_size/max_queue_size)*2)

However the only reason I can see to do this is if auth and acct are in the
same queue, so the server gives priority to handling auth if the queue is
getting full.