TLS configuration

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 6 16:29:51 CET 2012

Matthew Newton wrote:
> I've tested templates with the tls config, and it works fine - so
> I wonder if it's worth an example in the templates.conf for tls?
> Not sure how much would normally be shared to be worth it, though.
> Server certificate and a few other bits, maybe.

  Sure.  Examples are always good.

> On PEAP/TTLS client certificates, I think it would now be nice to
> have a
>
>   require_client_cert = yes
>
> option in the peap {} and ttls {} sections. Maybe that can be
> overridden by EAP-TLS-Require-Client-Cert (or maybe even
> EAP-PEAP-Require-* and EAP-TTLS-Require-*, although not sure if
> that's worth it). I'll put together a patch for the option to
> peap/ttls if it's worth it.

  Yes.  Have that EAP-TLS-Require-Client-Cert attribute over-ride the
configuration setting.

> There's a comment in the code about the
> EAP-TLS-Require-Client-Cert needing fixing, but I don't know what
> the thoughts on that were at the time?

  No idea.  It works, so... that's that, I guess.

> I'm still not 100% sure on the tls-config tls-common directive. It
> seemed the best way a few days ago, because the eap module treats
> all conf_sections inside eap {} as eap-type modules to load.
> Having tls-config as a 'virtual type' meant it was easier to
> avoid. I'm starting to look at it and think it's not that clean,
> though.

  It works.

> The following might tidy it up.
>
> eap {
>   common_settions = here
>   tls-config {
>     common { ... }
>   }

  That looks complicated and weird.  I'd just leave it the way it is.

  The most I would change is to have the "tls = ..." be a *reference*.
If the configuration section isn't found in "eap", start looking from
the top-level configuration.

> Possibly also have a 'types {}' section for all the eap-types to
> go in, to then avoid having the exception for tls-config that's
> not a sub-module, as the eap code could iterate over that knowing
> it will only contain modules (a bit like the main modules{}
> section).

  That's an extra layer which is confusing, and doesn't add a lot of
value.  I'd say it's not necessary.