--with-developer

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sat Nov 3 13:31:13 CET 2012

Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org> writes:

> There's also a new xlat expansion %{dhcp_options:}. Some switch
> vendors offer DHCP to RADIUS gateways, but don't define their own VSAs
> to represent DHCP options, so include the DHCP options from the DHCP
> packet as an opaque blob of binary data packed into a single VSA.
>
> Seeing as the server already has the code to parse dhcp options, it
> seemed like a fun hack to expose it as an xlat
> function. %{dhcp_options:} takes an attribute reference with
> qualifiers, and expands to the number of options in the blob. During
> expansion it adds all the options it finds in the blob to the request
> list with +=, using the FR DHCP dictionary.
>
> If anyone knows of other vendors besides the lazy lazy French one
> doing this, please let me know.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, but if I understand this
feature correctly then I believe it will be useful with Juniper JUNOS
and JUNOSe access routers as well.  Newer versions decode some of the
more useful DHCP options and provide them in separate attributes, but
the raw list of all DHCP options is also available.  E.g:

  ERX-Dhcp-Options = "5\001\0012\004\224z\247\0057\0103:;\001y\003!\006R'\001\033DSA13FBU atm 1/1/01/23:8.35\002\01067676775"

I assume this is what the new xlat will decode?  That is very useful.

Bjørn