--enable-developer

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Sat Nov 3 16:19:09 CET 2012

On 3 Nov 2012, at 11:12, Alan DeKok <aland at DEPLOYINGRADIUS.COM> wrote:

> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>> When --with-developer=yes compiler optimisation will now be disabled, and -g3 will be set, so gcc emitts the most complete debugging info (should include the value preprocessor macros and other useful things).
>
>  That's good.
>
>> --with-developer=yes is automatically set if you're building from a git repo. So if you happen to be stress testing or pushing a pre-release version into production, you will want to set --with-developer=no, which will re-enable optimisation and set -g (2).
>
>  That's good.

Uh but make that --enable-developer. Grrr.

>> This will only be changed in master branch, because of issues with package maintainers passing --enable-developer when building binary packages.
>
>  OK.
>
>> In other news, ident has been enabled in the main repo, so all the little $Id$ tags that were left over from CVS will now be expanded on checkout to contain the latest commit hash for the file.
>
>  Hmm... I'm a little more unsure about that.

It doesn't cause any harm... Well, now that the badly formatted ones are fixed it doesn't cause any harm.

>> The format of RADIUSD_VERSION has now also changed. Previously it was the raw value from VERSION <major>.<minor>.<incremental> now it's a 6 digit integer <major><minor><incremental>.
>
>  That's better.
>
>> Alan dislikes this approach and thinks it should die with fire, but if you don't like it, don't use it.
>
>  I dislike what?

Using C preprocessor conditions to swap out bits of module code so they build against various versions of the server.

>> If anyone knows of other vendors besides the lazy lazy French one doing this, please let me know.
>
>  There's an RFC I keep meaning to write about that.

Didn't you say someone held the patent :(?

-Arran